Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Warner Brothers is going to let you rent movies from.......facebook?

We've all seen the Facebook credit cards in Walmart and asked ourselves "Who is dumb enough to buy Facebook credits just so they can expand their farm on Farmville?"

Now those credits may have some use. Warner Bros. is making it possible to rent movies on Facebook using Facebook credits. The first movie that will be able to be rented this way will be The Dark Knight. The charge for renting a movie will be 30 Facebook credits, or 3 dollars.

Personally I think this will be cool but I don't know how much money Warner Bros. is expecting to make from this. I mean who really goes out and rents movies anymore? Most people have Netflix or On Demand which they pay montly for and can rent all the movies they want. Netflix has a decent list of movies to pick from on their instant cue. I can watch The Dark Knight on my Tv through Netflix just fine and I can do that all month, not just for 48 hours.

My other problem I see with this is the fact that when they start they will have very few movies compared to iTunes, Netflix, and On Demand. I really don't see the benefit of renting movies on facebook. I think Warner Bros. may just be trying to cash in on the massive audience Facebook brings. The only problem with that is I don't see where the "cash" will be made in that.




"Facebook has become a daily destination for hundreds of millions of people," said Thomas Gewecke, president of Warner Bros. Digital Distribution. "Making our films available through Facebook is a natural extension of our digital distribution efforts. It gives consumers a simple, convenient way to access and enjoy our films through the world's largest social network."


They also are saying that people who do rent from Facebook will still have complete functionality while they view their movie. They will still be able to comment on Steven's epic party photo album while watching the Joker make a pencil disappear.

Over all I think its a decent idea but I don't believe Warner Bros. is hitting the jackpot here.

Warner Bros. says that The Dark Knight is just a test and they will have more titles to rent and even buy. Hopefully that can rival Netflix and iTunes.


More information on this story here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-rent-movies-digitally-165218?_r=true

No comments:

Post a Comment